1841:  The village didn't have a school.  

Pre-1847:  The building that stands in the back garden of Gable House was built and both boys and girls attended school there.  The children of farmers were taught at home.

1851:  A single room (which is now part of the village hall) was built as a girls' school and the boys remained in the original school.  Kezia Sumner was the head mistress of the girls' school.  The school was built and equipped by the Dowager Countess of Aylesford, who owned practically the entire village at that time.

1860:  Kezia Sumner married Thomas Busby and the school house was built adjoining the new school.

1861:  The 1861 census mentioned an 'Industrial School House' in the village.

1867:  A Dame school was started for farmers' children and held in the Vicarage.

1878:  A school log book was started by Kezia Busby.  This was carried on until the school closed in 1976.

1881:  The Reverend John Adams started pushing for the two schools to be amalgamated.

1884:  The school in Gable House garden was closed and the boys moved in with the girls in the enlarged school.  The old school was used as a coffee and reading room for villagers.

1897:  Kezia Busby left the school after 46 years.

1911:  The main room was lengthened and a portion partitioned off for the use of the infants.

1926:  The school was enlarged and improved, mainly due to the generosity of Mr Henry Johnson.

1945:  School dinners started to be served from the school canteen.

1955:  A kitchen extension was put on the school and stoves installed in the classrooms to replace open fires.

1960:  Hot water was supplied to the washbowls.

1966:  School uniform was introduced.

1976:  The school closed.

1978:  At an open meeting of the village, the resolution to purchase the school buildings for the purpose of a village hall was carried.